The construction boom in Qatar has inspired a significant number of international and local engineering offices to open their offices in the country. The Law Regulating the Practice of Engineering Professions whose implementing regulation was issued in 2005 includes the rules and regulations on the Practice of Engineering Professions and requirements for the registration of all engineers in Qatar.
The law has specified engineering professions and their technical specializations as follows:
- Architectural Engineering.
- Civil Engineering.
- Electrical Engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering.
- Chemical Engineering.
- Petroleum and Gas Engineering.
- Other fields of engineering.
At the Committee for Accreditation of Engineers & Consultancy Offices at the Ministry of Municipality and Environment (MME), the following three registers are created:
- Register of Engineers (for the registration of engineers).
- Register of International Engineering Consultancy Office (for the registration of foreign offices and companies).
- Register of Local Engineering Consultancy Office (for the registration of Qatar-based offices and companies).
Register of Engineers
All engineers must be entered into the Register of Engineers in order to work in Qatar. Registration is limited to Qatari citizens and residents only. A qualified engineer must hold a bachelor's degree in engineering or an equivalent degree from an internationally recognized university or institution, and must pass technical ability tests in his/her specialization field.
Foreign Engineering Consultancy Firms
The Law allows non-Qataris to own 100% of a foreign engineering consultancy firm, provided that it meets all the legal requirements:
- It must be a branch of a main office abroad licensed to practice within the country in which its license is issued.
- The main office must have branch offices operating in at least four other countries outside its home jurisdiction.
- At least 10 years must have passed following the licensing of the main office, during which it has remained active in the engineering consultancy profession constantly.
- The office must provide an undertaking certified by the competent Qatari embassy detailing its obligation to support the office applying for the license, and to be held responsible for all obligations arising from practicing in the State.
- With official documents, the office must prove the articles of association of its main branch and its company chapter, if found. The office also must prove its activities, its financial ability and activities performed outside the State.
- The engineer responsible for managing the branch office must be entered into the Register of Engineers. He/she must possess a certificate from an internationally recognized university or institution, and must have at least 10 years of work experience in the field.
- The other engineers working in the office must meet the conditions determined by the implementing regulation of the Law.
Local Consultancy Firms
All local engineering consultancy firms are governed by the general rules of the Foreign Capital Investment Law, which requires at least 51% Qatari shareholding.
All engineers working for these firms are required to be entered into the Register of Engineers. All engineers must have at least 5 years of work experience in the field.
For more information, including links to engineering application forms, please visit the Committee for Accreditation of Engineers & Consultancy Offices website.