Qatar is one of the countries where the past and the present are interconnected. While you can enjoy seeing architectural masterpieces and impressive skyscrapers, you can also see the old buildings and the ancient
Souks and you’ll realize the old simple lifestyle that Qataris preserve. If you plan to visit Qatar, this article will give you an overview of Qatar and the Qatari society. Fun facts about Qatar
Things you should know before coming
- Qatar is one of the most secure countries in the world. It has won the title of the safest country in the world in the last three years, according to the Numbeo Index.
- Qatar has one of the fastest mobile internet services in the world; won 3rd place internationally mid-2021 according to Speedtest website.
- Hamad International Airport is one of the most important airports in the world. It won the best airport in the world award in Skytrax prestigious awards. Qatar Airways is also one of the best airways in the world. It won several awards in the last 10 years.
When is the best time to visit Qatar?
- Clothes: Qatar has a conservative Islamic society, so whether you are a man or a woman it’s better to wear modest clothes in public like markets, malls, and so on. Women are not expected to cover their hair in public, but they are expected to do so when visiting mosques.
- Alcohol: It’s not allowed to drink alcohol in public and alcoholic drinks are not allowed to go through the airport. However, it’s allowed to drink alcohol inside your home or in hotels. The law punishes going out drunk in public and disturbing others.
- Drugs: Qatar doesn’t allow using many drugs that can cause addiction and antibiotics without a medical prescription.
- Greeting others: Qataris greet others of the same sex by shaking hands, while they salute the opposite sex without touching.
- Shoes: You should take off your shoes when entering a mosque or a Qatari guest room (Majlis).
- Photography: Avoid filming military premises and filming others without their consent.
November to April is the best time to visit Qatar. The average temperature in the winter months is around 12 - 21 °C. There are lots of fun land and sea activities to do during these months. You can visit the Civil Aviation Authority’s website
to know more about the weather in Qatar. What can you do in Qatar?
There are lots of new experiences awaiting you when you visit Qatar. In Qatar, the splendid gold desert sand meets the sea, which makes camping on the coast a very unique experience. You can also go on a safari in the desert to the south of Doha city, where you can enjoy the gold sand dunes and the calm sea. To learn more about touristic attractions in Qatar, you can read this article
. Is Qatar good for shopping?
If you love shopping, Qatar is definitely a place you should go shopping in. In the old souks like Souq Waqif and Al Alwakra Old Souq, you can enjoy buying traditional handicrafts, coffee pots, handcrafted wooden boxes, incense, Arabic Oud, and traditional accessories.
If you are one of those who like modern luxurious complexes, Qatar is characterized by luxurious and charming shopping centers that are architectural masterpieces. For example, Villaggio Mall is a shopping center inspired by the Italian city of Venice with a waterway where you can ride a gondola, and Al Hazm Mall is one of the most luxurious modern malls you can see. It’s built on a classic European style. Both of them in addition to many other malls contain famous and luxurious international brands. For more information about shopping centers, you can check the directory of malls and recreation areas
.What are popular foods in Qatar?
Food in Qatar reflects the country's cultural diversity. In addition to Qatari restaurants that serve traditional and popular food such as Makboos, Madrouba, and other delicious Qatari dishes, there are many restaurants that serve popular and modern foods from other cultures; Filipino, Indian, Thai and Levantine restaurants are just a few examples of those restaurants that present the culture of their country in delicious dishes. This is in addition to the presence of many famous international restaurants serving various types of fast food.
Whatever the purpose of your visit to Qatar, there are many places and activities that you can spend an enjoyable time in. For more information about places to visit and fun activities to do, you can check the Visit Qatar